Integration and Interfaces
PMWeb's 100% web-based structure allows interfaces via hyperlink to any system which has similar capabilities. System interfaces can also be achieved by a number of other means. PMWeb has several options for integrating data from existing systems. The method used is determined by several factors such as the type of data being integrated; the frequency of data exchange; and the direction of the data exchange. These aspects apply to both any up-front migration and subsequent data exchanges:
- PMWeb’s “out of the box” integration with Excel includes field mapping for data exchanges
- PMWeb’s Integration Manager toolkit item
- The PMWeb API (Application Programming Interface)
- One way exports out of PMWeb can be accomplished using Microsoft SQL Reporting Services
- Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) allows for more complex integrations where data transformations and direct table manipulations are needed. We have found that SSIS has been able to address most complex integration needs.
We always recommend that a Client look closely at the need for an API-based integration, as well as any need for PMWeb’s Integration Manager. These two tools have an inherent cost that may or may not be warranted according to the functionality to be used in the Client's business. Just because an integration can be done does not mean that it should be done. Business needs should drive the integration approach. In major implementations for many major clients, integration was achieved by using SSIS packages to exchange information with other Enterprise systems – either directly or using client middleware. Each alternative should be explored on a cost/benefit basis
PMWeb is compatible with the following third-party software systems:
- MS Project task information can be imported via an xml file directly into PMWeb Scheduling module.
Oracle Primavera P6
- P6 task information can be imported via a P6 xml file directly into PMWeb Scheduling module.
- Copy/Paste directly into PMWeb Grid (includes field alignment “on the fly” if required)
- Import from MS Excel using import wizard
- Export to MS Excel from PMWeb interface and PMWeb Reporting
- Full “drag and drop” functionality.
- Copy/Paste directly into PMWeb
- Full “drag and drop” functionality.
- Outbound - PMWeb can send emails out as part of a manual notification or automatic notification
- Inbound – PMWeb can have an email setup system wide or project specific to retrieve and store emails in the PMWeb database. Emails can be linked directly to specific business processes, e.g. records.
Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- SSRS is tightly integrated into PMWeb in Security
- Data Parameters can be set as defaults for quick print into corresponding features (e.g. Budget Reports linked to Budget feature)
- SSRS reports can be run independently of PMWeb – thus the Client can always have access to PMWeb data without needing PMWeb
- SSRS exports into MS Word, MS Excel, PDF, TIFF, and XML – thus any data from PMWeb can be exported in these formats.
Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Allows for more complex integrations where data transformations and direct table manipulations are needed.
- We have found that SSIS has been able to address most complex integration needs
- PMWeb labels and nomenclature can be updated automatically with translations via an automatic link to Google Translate.
- PMWeb Maps interface displays project info with multiple hyperlinks in a google map
- PMWeb BI Reporting can integrate and display points or polygons (lines and shapes).
Financial and other ERP systems
- PMWeb Integration Manager is designed to integrate with any system via flat file exchange – using Web Services for automation
- PMWeb Integration Manager can receive imports from other systems which can either populate a master cost ledger or create new records in PMWeb
- PMWeb API uses web services to provide more direct integration with any system
- PMWeb Integrations have been performed with a variety of systems including: SAP, JD Edwards, Oracle Financials, PeopleSoft, Lawson, Ellipse, MRI, CGC, Datatel, Timberline and Maximo.
AutoCad, Navisworks, Revit
- PMWeb Estimating can read metadata stored in these file types and add to estimates.
- Read more about PMWeb and BIM
RSS and Weather feeds
- PMWeb can be linked to display weather and rss (i.e. news information) feeds on user’s home page.
- Depends on individual system and objectives of Integration. Example integrations include:
- Pull GIS data into a PMWeb dashboard report for a map based graphical representation of status
- Push PMWeb data into GIS system to provide an interactive map interface, costs and completion status.
- PMWeb LDAP Integration can be configured with Active Directory.
- SAML integration is also available.
- PMWeb SharePoint and Aconex Integration allows for authenticating automatically with SharePoint or Aconex.
- The Aconex integration also includes a search feature to link any Aconex file directly to a PMWeb record.
Note that the Aconex integration also requires the Aconex system owner to have purchased the Aconex API, which needs to be purchased directly from Aconex.